Alexander, Frist Announce Memphis Slated For $10 Million Urban Security Grant

Posted on November 13, 2003

WASHINGTON - U.S. Senators Bill Frist (R-TN) and Lamar Alexander (R-TN) today announced that Memphis will receive more than $10 million from the Department of Homeland Security to help create a security infrastructure that can prevent, respond and recover from acts of terrorism. The funding is part of the Urban Area Security Initiative (UASI), which provides grants to urban areas nationwide to assist state and local first responders. "Improving security is a challenge for any city, and I applaud the Department of Homeland Security for including Memphis as one of only 50 cities nationwide to receive this funding," said Frist. "These funds will support efforts in Memphis to enhance security measures and prepare first responders." "This funding will help to build and maintain a security infrastructure system to protect Tennesseans," Alexander said. "Senator Frist and I will continue to work together to ensure that the federal government does all it can to keep our citizens safe." Memphis will receive $10,067,477 through UASI to enhance its overall security and preparedness level to prevent, respond and recover from acts of terrorism. The funding is part of the Administration's commitment to ensuring that Homeland Security funding is directed to the areas with greater security needs. Nationwide, 50 cities were selected to receive $675 million allocated in the form of formula grants through the states to urban areas selected by the Department of Homeland Security. The urban areas were chosen based on a formula that takes into account factors including critical infrastructure, population density and credible threat information. Funding allocations among the cities, contiguous counties and mutual aid partners was based on an urban area assessment and strategic plan. Of the funding, 80 percent of the funds allocated to the state under this program must be awarded to the designated cities and contiguous counties within the urban area based on the strategic plan. The state may use the remaining 20 percent for further security enhancements within the urban area.