Disaster Assistance

Individuals and businesses in need of assistance may contact FEMA at 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or apply online by visiting www.disasterassistance.gov

As a result of the severe storms, tornadoes, straight-line winds, and flooding that occurred from February 29 to March 2, 2012 in Tennessee, disaster assistance has been made available to individuals and households in the following 10 Tennessee Counties: Bradley, Claiborne, Cumberland, DeKalb, Hamilton, Jackson, McMinn, Monroe, Overton, and Polk.

Disaster victims in the 10 counties listed above can call the FEMA registration number, 1-800-621-FEMA (3362).  Registration is available online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov or by phone at 800-621-FEMA (3362). Help is available in many languages. Disaster applicants who use TTY should call 800-462-7585. Those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS) should call 800-621-3362.

You will be assigned a registration identification number and a FEMA inspector will make an appointment to visit your damaged home or apartment and assess the damage. FEMA may provide housing assistance, which may include lodging expense reimbursement, repair assistance, and/or temporary rental assistance.

SBA will also send claimants a loan application packet.  If the applicant is ineligible for a loan, SBA can refer victims to FEMA to determine eligibility for the Other Needs Assistance (ONA) program, which includes medical, dental, funeral expenses, furniture, clothing, some appliances, vehicle costs (up to state limits), and other eligible expenses.  The SBA packet must be completed and returned to be eligible for this assistance.

USDA Farm Service Agency (FSA) programs are also available to assist with recovery. FSA administers several important programs that help producers recover from disaster damage and livestock deaths.

 FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency):

  • To apply for disaster assistance from FEMA:
  1. Apply by Phone
    1. Call (800) 621-3362 (takes approximately 18-20 minutes to complete interview)
    2. Call TTY (800) 462-7585 for people with speech or hearing disabilities
    3. Apply Online
      1. http://www.disasterassistance.gov/daip_en.portal
  • TEMA and FEMA have put together a Facebook page which is updated regularly and allows victims to share information.  If can be found here.
  • Helpful guidelines for the period following a flood: http://www.fema.gov/hazard/flood/fl_after.shtm
  • Brochure on mold prevention and cleanup: http://www.fema.gov/pdf/rebuild/recover/fema_mold_brochure_english.pdf
  • FEMA will ask for the following information:
    • The telephone number where applicants can be reached;
    • The address where applicants lived at the time of the disaster and the address where they are staying;
    • Their Social Security number;
    • A general description of damage to property and other losses;
    • The name of the insurance company and policy number or agent if the property is insured; and
    • Bank account routing information (for direct deposit of funds) or address for mail delivery (optional).

People whose property suffered any storm damage are encouraged to document damage with photographs and to save repair receipts. Damage also should be reported to the insurance company. Federal funding is also available on a cost-sharing basis for hazard mitigation measures for all of Tennessee.